Thursday, April 3, 2008

All that and the Kitchen sink...

The time has come...its overdue perhaps....the time for me to leave the road. I have 14 more wonderful weeks on the road and I cannot express how grateful I am to have been out here for 17 months (so far) BUT this hotel room at the Sandman nearly did me in. As in, I almost lost my life. Just five minutes ago, at 1:46 am in the bathroom of my European style hotel room in Vancouver, Canada. 
The first signs that things were not going to go my way were on Monday, on the way to Canada...now, I have never had much luck in this country. There are some wonderful people and a lot of mountains...scenic things and such...but its just soooo frustrating that it is so close to the US and yet so far. They dont sell apples at Subway instead of chips, anything under five dollars is a coin, most of the citizens here have a severe misconception of personal space bubbles, and my super cool iphone costs 59 cents a minute. A minute! Ok, so general griping aside this has been a particularly trying foray into the country I can officially call my second home during my 11th week here since 2007....
The bus ride on the way here provided many picturesque landscapes and attractions, however the Subway where we took our Equity break had no Veggie Patty's or Spinach, then we were stopped at the border and our driver had failed to bring his passport. He thought that a license was enough. Sure, its enough to drive a bus load of people with license, but what about driving to a foreign land with a rather strict border patrol??? We were held at the "border"( for a moment I was reminded of a family trip to Israel when I was 13 and we accidentally took a cab into Palestine and then had to figure out how to get back over...it was very traumatic) for quite some time while the bus bathroom seemed to emanate an unidentifiable, but clearly unpleasant smell that made me want to throw up my wheat bread, onion, pepper sandwich from the Way of Sub. But I kept it down and we carried on to the great city of Vancouver. 
This is the smallest hotel room I have ever seen. Ok, its not as small as a single room at the Milford Plaza, but its quite tight...and theres more furniture than I can fit in my entire apartment in this one room. There are three chairs, a table, an entertainment unit with a small tv and the biggest desk I have ever seen....there is an 8 and a half foot desk in the entry way. I dont know what kind of business they think gets done around here, but they are not joking around. Although the modem is the size of a laptop, so perhaps they are providing you with ample desk space to hook up your computer. 
To make a long story a scooch shorter: Adam and I had some furniture removed, moved the refrigerator from the bathroom and figured out a way for my suitcase to fit in front of the window without catching on fire from the heater. Its a delicate dance, this domestic tour life, and I was just starting to feel like Adam and I had it down to a science when...
A few minutes ago, after watching some episodes of WEEDS Season 2 I decided, on a whim, to pluck my eyebrows...those of you on the road know that this is a perfectly normal middle of the night activity...however, it became a suicide mission when the entire sink came crashing to the ground!!!!! Like, detached from the wall and the cabinetry and came crashing down on top of me. Don't worry I am fine....and I managed to fight my way back into the geyser to retrieve Adam's super expensive Khiels and L'Occitane products. Have no fear, I suffered only minor physical and emotional injuries, as well as unbrushed teeth....and Adam's eyes will not be puffy. 
Pictures will follow tomorrow...only me....this stuff only happens to me...

2 comments:

Nathan Alan Johnson said...

Makes you hate Canada just a little bit more doesn't it?

Whitney said...

You know what else is a perfectly normal middle of the night activity? Reading your blog. Sigh...what a crazy situa----wait....what a crazy thing!