Sunday, May 31, 2009

"A Part of Your World"

 Setting: Candlewood Suites- Indianapolis, Indiana

 I arrive at the Candlewood on Monday night with my rental car around 6:30 pm and head to the front desk to check in. To describe “Rosalind” does not even begin to do her justice, but I will try. She is about 300lbs,weave for days, multi colored fingernails as long as my fingers, and no eyebrows. Ok, that’s not completely true….she does have eyebrows. They were just drawn on with a black eye liner pencil. And they are each larger than a banana, and about as girthy.  As I approach the front desk she seems to be on the phone helping a guest who is lost.

 Unfortunately, she doesn’t know where they are and neither do they, so they aren’t making much headway. This goes on for about 7 minutes and by now a bit of a line is forming behind me. I can see my room key and just need to get it from her so the following scene occurs:

 Me: Excuse me, I just need to check in.

Ros: Well, I am not an octopus.

Me: (shocked and bewildered) I understand that you are not an octopus. I would just like my room key.

Ros: Last name?

Me: Levine. Thank you.

 Wow- she seriously told me that she is not an octopus. As if that is some type of proper response to me being a little impatient. So I text message Mark and let him know the woman at the front desk is not an octopus. Just in case he is wondering. And before I even get a chance to tell the octopus story he texts back…"I know, doesn’t she look like Ursula?"

Amazing. 

So maybe this happens to poor Rosalind a lot. Maybe people mistake her for a multi-limbed aquatic creature and she is a little defensive about it. If that is the case, then I do apologize. I should have never alluded to the fact that perhaps Rosalind, the front desk employee, could possibly ever do more than one thing at a time. 

1 comment:

Nathan Alan Johnson said...

This just made my May. Thanks for that.