Sunday, February 24, 2008

Karma's not always a bitch...

(cue music) "Vacation...all I ever wanted...Vacation...having to get away..." (fade out)

This week I was on vacay from the MIA and headed to the big, bad apple to visit friends, buy an apartment, see shows, and possibly change careers. That's what I do on my week off.
Anyway, my luck in New York City is unreal (knock on wood) and it never ceases to amaze me when the crowds disperse and opportunities suddenly come my way.  My first bag of Dale and Thomas Popcorn was free cause the credit card machine wasn't working, Christian, Santi, and I got fifth row center seats to Sunday in the Park with George for thirty bucks, and I had my own row on my jetblue flight to Florida so I slept it out. 
On our way back from the show the boys and I ran into a blind couple on the corner of 55th and Bway...I mean, we didnt physically run into them, but they flagged us down to flag them a cab to the Upper West Side. So, Christian gets his "Go Go Gadget" arm prepped and begins to hail them a cab...then i realize that I totally know this woman. Her name is Joanie and she is a vocal coach who does vocal rehabilitation for the mentally and physically disabled. I met her on the train once, she heard me talking to my friend Ryan and thought I sounded friendly. She needed someone to walk her out of the train station and asked me if I was a singer...which, of course, I am...and she is the first person to tell me that my speaking voice actually sounded like a singer's (as opposed to someone with tons of tongue tension who speaks on vocal frye...I dont know how to spell that term...). The point is...that was in 2005 and I have not seen her since then and what are the chances of running into her on the street three years later???
You have to wonder why strange, weird, things happen to certain people...and I have often wondered that myself. Then one day I was hauling an old fashioned wheelchair down 8th ave for a Benefit and I realized that I was one of those weird people who do weird things...(it wasnt the first time I had pushed something along the busy street of 8th ave...when we were moving from rehearsals to the theatre during BKLYN I was responsible for wheeling all of the rubbermaid, containerstore containers filled with staples and rubber bands from 42nd up to 45th...and I was determined not to ask for help and make it one trip...it took approximately 30 minutes to get 3 blocks...)
Like, someone probably went home that day and said "I saw some curly haired teenage girl in a suit pushing an old fashioned wheel chair down 8th ave in the middle of the day...what a crazy place!"
So, its my fault. Weird things happen to me because I do weird things. 
That is why I love New York City. 


No comments: